Sunday 12 February 2017

Traveling the world

Ever since I discovered you could walk around far-away places on Google Earth, I've been addicted. Famous places like Rome, Florence, Istanbul, Reykjavik, Cardiff, London... Closer-to-home places like Sudbury, Port Dover, and Pembroke. Places with fun names, like Manitouwadge and Attawapiskat. Intriguing place-names like Bear Rump Island, Pickle Crow, Ravenshoe, and Moose Portage (I wonder, is it necessary to carry your moose there?).

This morning I discovered you can walk around the botanical gardens of Kyoto on screen. Unfortunately, the film crew went during the gray part of autumn, when nothing much was in bloom and there were few leaves on the trees. But you could see the structure and it was still interesting, and probably as close as I'll ever get to actually going. Wouldn't it be amazing to be there during cherry blossom time?

There are so many beautiful places on this earth to check out. I can't live long enough to see them all, nor can I afford to go everywhere I want to see, but thanks to the Google Earth people, I can virtually see just about anywhere. And I can drop by and walk my old childhood street and wave at Mom and Dad's house anytime I want to. A heartfelt thank you to Google!

No comments:

Post a Comment