Saturday 16 July 2016

Learning New Things

I am still putting together this contremarch loom I was recently given. There are so many pieces and cords and strings...I find myself humming "The thigh bone connects to the hip bone..." as I crawl around under it, trying to sort out the tangle. It's as if a gigantic kitten had been given a big ball of yarn and a pile of lumber. It would be easier to put together a BMW.

I recently filled out an application for something that asked me what kind of approach I take when I learn something new. I think in my younger years, I would have responded that I read instructions whenever I am tackling something unfamiliar. I learned by reading. I've never had much success learning by listening. I don't have the memory capacity. Now I think I've become more of a visual learner. I have talked to members of the local weavers' guild and invited one to my home to take a look at my mess. I'm arranging to go visit someone with a similar loom so I can see exactly how hers is set up. And there are - I'm learning - YouTube videos for everything under the sun.

I am struck by how friendly these women are that I'm meeting, and I'm touched that someone would give 2 1/2 hours of her evening to help a stranger. I look forward to joining the guild and meeting a new social circle. There's something appealing about learning such an ancient craft that hasn't changed fundamentally in hundreds of years and requires no electricity.

Here's the loom now, nearly sorted.





No comments:

Post a Comment