Thursday 10 December 2015

Downsizing in multiple ways

They are shrinking our cubicles at work to make room for more people on our floor. It already feels like a giant game of whack-a-mole, popping my head up out of the maze from time to time. To get ready for this, I have been purging excess paper and boxing up files to be archived off site. Each time I drop a load of boxes off with Records Management, I feel thinner.

I like getting rid of stuff. I like creating space and blank spots. I've been pretty merciless at culling my book collection (gasp!), hauling stuff out of the garage and basement, and even dividing up my Christmas tree ornaments to pass on to my children. Really, if they're going to inherit stuff eventually anyway, why not give it to them now and watch them enjoy it?

I also dropped twenty-five pounds lately and got my hair cut pretty short. I threw out clothes I never wear, my husband sorted through plastic containers to discard the ones without lids (or discard the lids that had no containers -- how does this accumulate?), and I donated a bunch of yarn to a woman who makes things for charity. I'm even rethinking old goals and making a more realistic (i.e. less grandiose) plan for my life.

In 2016, I want to live smaller.

No comments:

Post a Comment