Sunday 4 October 2015

What I gleaned from Conference

Two lovely days listening to LDS General Conference, and I've come away from it feeling calmer, more peaceful, more gentle and tolerant, and ready to be more patient with my grandchildren. I loved Elder Bednar's comment from Elder Hales, about how, if you can no longer do the things you used to be able to do, just do the things that matter most. How a decrease in stamina can help you prioritize things better. That gives me food for thought, and I intend to spend the next little while reviewing how I'm spending my energy and figuring out if what I've been focusing on really is the most important. I feel pulled in many directions at once, and it's good to stop and take stock for a bit.

Elder Holland's address to mothers was touching and overwhelming and made me feel simultaneously inadequate and energized, comforted and inspired. Have I been that unconditionally loving? Would I really give my life for my kids? Well yes, of course. But you never stop to really think of it that way, do you? I always find Elder Holland comforting.

The three new apostles that were called struck me as very prepared and strong and I'm excited to get to hear them some more. Elder Renlund is very soft-spoken and I warmed to him immediately. I was reflecting on how nervous I would be if I had to get up and speak with only a week's notice...and then I thought, "At least if I had a heart attack, I'd be surrounded by two good cardiologists!"

I also enjoyed hearing Devin Durrant, who used to be my seminary teacher back at Timpview. (And I liked how they had to hike the pulpit up so high for him. He is, like, seven foot two or something.) I have decided to take his advice and ponder a scripture a week. I may not be able to memorize them or remember where to find them, but it's a way to boost my thoughts to a different, daily level. If your brain is busy thinking good thoughts, it can't become cluttered with other, lesser things or so easily distracted from what's important. So this week's scripture, starting tomorrow, will be:

Therefore, cheer up your hearts, and remember that ye are free to act for yourselves - to choose the way of everlasting death or the way of eternal life.  2 Nephi 10:23

No comments:

Post a Comment