Friday 23 October 2015

Harvest is in!

I spent nine and a half hours on Thursday putting my garden to bed for the winter. My terrific daughter-in-law helped with some of the fiddly parts (like stacking tomato cages without losing patience -- it's like trying to put tight pants on an octopus) and my wonderful husband stood at the sink with me for hours washing and peeling carrots so I could slice, blanche, and freeze them. So now the garden is empty, the freezer is full, the house smells of drying apples, the bottles on the shelves gleam like jewels, and there's a deep sense of satisfaction. Another year done, another harvest in, and we get to eat again this winter. Aren't we lucky!

This time of year always makes me feel blessed with abundance. And my body feels about ninety.

No comments:

Post a Comment