Monday 20 April 2015

Awaiting the new baby

Grandkid due any moment now, and it's like waiting for Christmas morning. "Is today the day?" is the first thought in my head when I wake up. I know he'll come when he's ready, and really, there's no rush. I mean, it's certainly easier having him as he is now -- portable, quiet, no fuss. Once he comes, there's no turning back. Then we'll be plunged back into the two-in-the-morning screaming sessions and the diapers and the anxiety and sheer finickiness of caring for a leaky, frail, little person. I remember bringing my own sons home and feeling as if I were dressing a raw chicken. So many things to care for! So many bits and pieces to clean! So delicate and easy to injure! Yes, it's definitely easier now, while he's still unborn.

But I can't wait to meet him.

I love looking into a newborn's eyes. Such peace, such quiet wisdom, as if -- if he could only talk -- he could tell you great wonders. Maybe that's why God keeps newborns from speaking right away. He doesn't want them spilling the beans about where they just came from. He waits until the memory fades a bit before allowing them language. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment