Friday 1 November 2013

A little consideration goes a long way

I was recently in the Dulles Airport and came across something I'd never seen before - a relief station for service animals. The door was slightly ajar, so I peeked in. There was a room with fake grass and a fake fire hydrant, complete with white picket fence. And I was astounded to realize I've never once wondered what people with guide dogs or other service animals do about -- er -- that end of things. The animals get stuck for long hours in airports too, same as their people, and I thought it was so sensitive and compassionate for both people and animals for the airport to provide this service. Do all airports have this and I've just never seen it before?

In the Salt Lake City Airport they have a playground with jungle gym in the middle of the terminal, for entertaining small children during waits. I thought this was brilliant too, taking the needs of both parents and children into account. I myself have been reduced to entertaining children for hours with Kleenex puppets and paper cup towers, so I know how appreciative parents of young kids must be for a real-life playground.

Little thoughtful things like this go a long way, letting other people know we've thought about their needs and cared enough to do something about them. A small gesture, a little accommodation, can change a person's whole experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment