Monday 22 July 2013

Congratulations at the Cambridge Highland Games

I'm pleased to report my son won the piping competition in his division at the Cambridge Highland Games on Saturday. It's pretty impressive to me that a 14-year-old boy can get up in front of a judge and play without being nervous. But I'm equally proud of my not-14-year-old friend Tracey who can get up in front of a judge and play in spite of being nervous. I really admire how she can challenge herself, set herself difficult goals, and carry them out without anyone else cheering her on or even necessarily knowing about them. I don't have that kind of drive myself, so I really admire it in her. I do have a streak of perfectionism in me, but if I know perfection isn't going to be the likely end result, I tend to give up and not do it at all. Thanks, Tracey, for being such a great example, to me and to my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment